Synology today announced the Beta release of DiskStation Manager 7.1, giving system admins a chance to test out the expanded functionality. DiskStation Manager (DSM) 7.1 builds further on the massive platform upgrade introduced with DSM 7.0 and introduces many innovative enhancements designed to address IT challenges.
Core Storage Enhancements
Synology DiskStation Manager 7.1 brings key improvements to the storage management experience. Starting with the introduction of file aggregation portals, it adds SMB DFS capability to enable administrators to link together multiple Synology systems, providing more convenient file access for end-users by removing the need to remember separate addresses.
The new user interface introduced in 7.0 has been further optimized by consolidating background tasks into an administrator-friendly overview that provides greater transparency into what is happening on the system, even across different user accounts. For Synology High Availability clusters, users can now view and manage drives on both systems from a single instance of Storage Manager for easier maintenance and management.
On the performance side, DiskStation Manager has long supported flash caching to boost random I/O performance cost-effectively. This new version will further economize SSD caching with the ability to speed up multiple storage volumes at the same time.
Full System ProtectionDiskStation Manager 7.1 introduces complete, bare-metal level backups of the entire system. Powered by Synology Active Backup for Business, the ability to clone and replicate the entire Synology system greatly accelerates recovery time objectives (RTO) in the event of a total site failure. Full system restoration capability also introduces a quick and convenient way to deploy identically configured systems.
In tandem with DSM 7.1, Synology is launching several major enhancements to applications and services.
- Active Backup for Business: bandwidth control, expanded monitoring and reporting capabilities, and support for DSM backups
- Active Insight: centralized login activity monitoring and Hyper Backup task statuses
- Synology C2 Hybrid Share: server-side snapshots for better file protection
- Directory Server: support for read-only domain controllers to improve deployment security and flexibility
- Synology Drive: revamped mobile user experience and improved monitoring/auditing capabilities
- MailPlus: Virtual DSM support, expanded management options, importing and migration
Learn more about DiskStation Manager 7.1 here.